Thursday, October 27, 2011

Respiratory Care Week



Respiratory Care Week is October 23-29!

"Respiratory therapists evaluate, treat, and care for patients with breathing or other cardiopulmonary disorders."
(http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos321.htm)
First of all, I am alive today because of respiratory therapists. Because I was born early, my lungs were not developed completely. What if there was not a therapist present? I would not have had a chance. I was fighting to breathe, and fighting to live. That respiratory therapist fought with me and gave me the chance to live.

In my first few years of life I was still sometimes struggling to breathe. When I would get sick, my asthma would act up. Quite a few times it turned into pneumonia and I had to be hospitalized. Respiratory therapists were there to take care of me and always did their job well.

The therapists were so caring and helpful. They took care of me, this baby girl that they didn't even know, and made me feel better.

My mom is a respiratory therapist today because of the wonderful experience she had in a not so wonderful time in our lives. Now she is helping people, young and old, to feel better just like they did for me so many years ago.

Thank you to all respiratory therapists out there for saving lives.

1 comment: